“It’s ok to coast.” This is one thing I learned to accept this year. One of my original 2016 goals was to do more professional development, and to do this and that. After making a surprise job switch, I felt like I just needed to get in that groove and let other things in my life get settled. I would have been forcing it if I kept trying to read so many books, articles, attended networking events, etc. I said “no” more often to those things because my body and mind just were not ready for them. I feel like I did more meaningful things with my time for ME and MY life, by listening to what I WANTED to do, not what I felt I NEEDED to do. So with the professional development stuff, I backed off, tried to really learn the job I was in and how to improve there, and in essence, took off some of the additional pressure. It’s definitely an adjustment to realize that you don’t have to push yourself so hard all the time. I still have a hard time not feeling guilty for just relaxing. It’s all about balance. And hey, in Europe, café and the strolling life is what they’re all about! If they can do it, I should be able to!
Another thing I learned this year was that you really CAN have “food freedom” and eat healthy. I’ve never really been one for crash diets. I’m more of a gradual lifestyle changer. This is why I was intrigued by Whole30. I completed my first Whole30 in summer 2016 and I completed a 9-day Whole30 “reset” post-holidays. If I can do it, you can do it. I really encourage everyone to look into it more and give it a shot.
One thing I also found to be helpful is throwing away and canceling things that aren’t adding any value to your life. Same goes for how you spend money, how you save money, how you spend your time, and more. #minimalism
Here’s a few other reflections from 2016:
The following Spotify playlists helped get me through the year. Some of these I’ve been listening to for more than a few years but sharing regardless:
- Mellow Beats: https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/3hpgM1U3bD6kvo7wJubQ8z
- Chillout Ambient Lounge: https://open.spotify.com/user/homerjsimson/playlist/2E8onhV4FQT7RpAyE771OD
- Piano in the Background: https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/76EmNg3KPQoEr0izybtuCN
- Jazztronica: https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/6CodCTqgw2Ot4WlitAM5mA
- Coffee Table Jazz: https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/5O2ERf8kAYARVVdfCKZ9G7
- Your Favorite Coffeehouse: https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/4BKT5olNFqLB1FAa8OtC8k
- Coffeehouse Blend: https://open.spotify.com/user/myplay.com/playlist/3MuEJg3XOTV0q8E48qCcLc
My favorite Movies of 2016:
- “La La Land”
- “The Nice Guys”
- And…I actually liked the new “Ghostbusters”
Favorite books of 2016:
I didn’t read a ton but here’s some of my favorites:
- “Into the Magic Shop: A Neurosurgeon’s Quest to Discover the Mysteries of the Brain and the Secrets of the Heart” https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25733658-into-the-magic-shop
- “Ready Player One” https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9969571-ready-player-one (Soon to be a Spielberg movie!)
- “Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal” https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28881.Lamb
Things I’ll be looking into for 2017:
- Professionally, take an online course or learn a couple of new skills!
- Volunteer opportunities that help others
- Maybe running my first 5k!?
- Trying to keep my body in motion and be healthy. Would be great to feel the strongest I’ve ever felt this year!
- How to incorporate more minimalism into my life. Or at least, keeping the main theory in mind: Spend your time and money more meaningfully.
- Remembering a message I’ve been hearing a lot of lately: “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust